Verse for Today

Friday, January 27, 2012

The One-Year Bible - 27 January 2012

Readings:
Exodus 4:1 - 5:21
Matthew 18: 1-20
Psalm 22: 19-31
Proverbs 5: 15-21

Proverbs reading: "Drink water from your own well - share your love only with your own wife".  It's interesting that this reading should come up when I've been away from my wife for the past week whilst attending a probationers' seminar in Johannesburg - perhaps this is a reminder (or even a warning) of the promises that my wife and I made to each other, in the presence of God and witnesses, just over 20 years ago?  Or is it just the homesickness in me talking?

Either way, these verses, in contrast to the prohibition on adultery found in the Ten Commandments, extols instead the benefits of remaining faithful to one's spouse.  In what can be regarded as rather suggestive language, the writer reminds (particularly) those of us who have been married for some time to enjoy the intimacy of our relationship.  The injunction to "rejoice in the wife of your youth" is a call to rekindle that first flush of love we had when we were first married.

Given that this has probably been written to couples who are past their child-bearing years, it is a wonderful illustration of the gift of sex that God has given to married couples for mutual enjoyment.  While I may have many friendships, the physical union with my wife signifies the uniqueness of our relationship in marriage - an intimacy that we share with no-one else.  This is indeed a precious gift, and possibly the closest one can come in human relationships to experiencing the union between Jesus and ourselves.

It's a little over 24 hours before my wife and I will be united again.  Thank you, God, for reminding me of just how precious our marriage relationship is.

No comments:

Post a Comment