Verse for Today

Thursday, February 16, 2012

The One-Year Bible - 16 February 2012

Readings:
Leviticus 1:1 - 3:17
Mark 1:29 - 2:12
Psalm 35: 17-28
Proverbs 9: 13-18

Psalms reading: I glossed over this reading yeaterday, as it seemed to be one of those Psalms where David was having a good old whinge to God, and wanted to see how things turned out today.  And please forgive me, but it really seems to be one of those Psalms where David is not only whining a lot; he is also trying to strike a bargain with God.  "If you do this for me, then I will praise you and thank you".  The unwritten implication seems to be that if God will be praised provided that David gets what he wants.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but maybe therein lies the lesson for today.  How often do we come to God with our "shopping-list prayers", beseeching God to act in a certain way and even going so far as to thank God in advance for doing what we would want God to do?  Okay, none of you reading this site pray like that, but I must confess that I do this from time to time - even in public prayer when leading a congregation.

Now don't get me wrong (I seem to be saying this a lot lately) - God does want us to ask for things in prayer.  And we do rejoice in God when our prayers are answered.  And we should thank God for the blessings bestowed upon us.  But how about from time to time praying to God just because of who God is?  A real "no strings attached" prayer.  No shopping list.  No confessions.  Not even giving thanks for something that God has done previously.  A prayer that focuses on God, and God alone.

Try it ... such a totally God-focused prayer may prove to be incredibly liberating.

No comments:

Post a Comment